Logo

 

Landewednack Parish Council


Parish Council News (From March 2018 Lizard Lives)
This month the Parish Council returned to its full complement of 10 when it welcomed new Councillor, Michael Legge. Michael has also joined the Asset Management Committee and we look forward to the benefit of his enthusiastic approach and local knowledge.
With visitor numbers sure to increase from Easter onwards, the Parish Council is currently putting some improvement works in place and parishioners should start seeing results shortly. The rather overgrown hedges around the public toilet block are to be tidied up and other hedges trimmed. New signage for The Green is planned which will incorporate photography of some of the Lizard’s noted scenery and views. The public toilets have benefitted from internal redecorations, and additional signage is in hand too as we need to emphasise to visitors the need to contribute towards running costs. Planned re-seeding works to selected areas of The Green have been hampered by the extremely wet weather (and will now have to be deferred until autumn), but some areas have been roped off to try and prevent damage and allow grass a chance to re-establish.
The PC’s Traffic Management Group, ably chaired by Cllr David Issitt, has been in discussions with National Trust and Cornwall Council to see how traffic issues can be better managed this summer in view, especially, of the burgeoning interest from visitors in Kynance Cove. This is a challenging task as the availability of parking in the village is limited. See page … for more info
Behind the scenes, the PC has arranged first registration of its title to The Green with the Land Registry. Registration of title to the Recreation Ground, which is a charitable trust with the PC being Trustee, has also been completed.
Such registrations represent prudent house-keeping. An application has also been made to re-register the Recreation Ground as a Town and Village Green as this will protect the site’s recreational use (for which it was originally conveyed to the village) far better than the current designation as a registered common. So, if you see formal Notices at site or on the parish noticeboard relating, that is what they are about. The PC has also handed back to Cornwall Council the 20 street lights for which it was responsible and so will have none on its books from 1st April. This will save the parish approximately £2,500 per annum in running costs and will repay the capital costs of the hand-back in approx. 4.5 years. Faulty lights can be reported to Cornwall Council - see www.cornwall.gov.uk
Most months bring planning applications and the members of the Planning Committee discuss all applications and often carry out site visits. Some applications arouse strong feelings, but councillors are tasked with considering all applications impartially and upon merit, basing recommendations to full Council upon ‘material planning considerations’. Councillors are always pleased to hear from parishioners with comments, suggestions and questions. The PC does have a website, which contains contact information for Councillors and Clerk, information on our policies and procedures, copies of agendas and minutes and so on.
Please have a look - www.landewednackparishcouncil.org.uk


Landewednack Parish Council Update (From February 2018 Lizard Lives)
Landewednack Parish Council held its first meeting of the year on 11th January.
Among items discussed were the progress of the Traffic Management Task and Finish Group, the current stage of the Local Government Boundary Commission for England review and proposals for the new Cornwall Council waste collection contract.
An update was also given on the current waste provision provided and the Council and attendees were reminded additional services includes requests for new or replacement recycling bags and boxes, Garden Waste subscriptions, and the purchase of seagull proof sacks.
For more information check out www.cornwall.gov.uk also see page 15
The next meeting Full Council meeting will be on 8th February.


LANDEWEDNACK PARISH PLAN (added 29/09/17)

On the 6th September some members of the parish met together at the Lizard Football Club at 6.00pm to explore the possibility of developing a Landewednack Parish Plan. 

What is a Parish Plan? A Parish Plan is a vision for the parish developed by the people who live in the parish.

How is a Parish Plan Developed?  By a group of interested people in the parish (PPSG: Parish Plan Steering Group) developing a comprehensive questionnaire which everyone in the parish is asked to complete.  The results are collated by the PPSG and an action plan developed.  The action plan should be concise, setting out the outcomes desired, the priorities for the parish and a time frame for implementation. This plan can be presented to the Parish Council to lead on implementation

Why Do this? 

The following people have indicated a willingness to get involved in developing a Parish Plan:  Bev Lake, Janice Price, Vikky Parker, Diane Burgess and Marianna Baxter.  They would love some more people to join them! 

The next meeting is 17th October at 6.30 pm at the Lizard Football Club.  Please come along and join the group.

Diane Shepherd
Clerk Landewednack Parish Council


Parish Council (from Lizard Lives August issue): (added 28/07/17)

Landewednack Parish Council met on the 13th July at the READING ROOM.  The Council is currently experimenting with different table formations and seating arrangements to see what is best for both the parishioners and the Council.  Please let the Council have feedback on the arrangements tried so far.
The Chairman welcomed a member of the Landewednack School Council to the meeting. She had come as an observer.
Church Cove: The Council leases Church Cove.  A member of the parish said that some metal had been exposed where the concrete had been eroded and that action needed to be taken to prevent injury.  The Council decided later to immediately put up a sign to warn people and then agreed to ensure they took corrective action soonest.
Kynance Cove: A member of the parish expressed concern about the overflow parking from Kynance Cove.  The National Trust had taken steps to improve matters by issuing leaflets and making clear when the car park was full but it was agreed that further measures were necessary. The Council agreed to write to the Trust expressing their concern
The following Planning Applications were supported PA 17/05100: New detached dwelling within existing gardens at Carn Hyr; PA 17/00543 Extensions and alterations at Pednagothollan, Penmenner Road and PA 17/04679: Retrospective application for change of use and extension of redundant building for additional holiday accommodation at The Old Bakery, Mainway.  The Council asked for conditions to be attached to the approval for the Old Bakery.
The Council learnt that application PA17/03670: New dwelling and vehicular access at the Rectory at Church Cove had been approved and that the appeal by the applicants re PA 16/ 06178 Construction of replacement dwelling with garage at Sagres, Lighthouse Road had been dismissed.
Parish Plan: The Council agreed next steps, to apply for a lottery grant and to hold a public meeting in October to tell the Parish what a Plan is, how it works and to ask people to become involved in developing it.
Electoral Review of Cornwall Council: The Council agreed their response which was to recommend that 99 Councillors be retained
Signs on the Green: The Council had two requests for temporary signs to be placed on the Green.  The request from the RNLI was agreed and the request from the Witchball was refused. The Asset Management Committee will now consider a policy on signs on the Green.
Sign at the Recycling Centre: The Council decided to take down the Parish Council sign and to ask Cornwall Council, who run the Centre, to put up a sign with contact details
Emergency Plan: The Council heard that this is being drafted and will be brought to the September meeting for further consideration
Cornwall Community Flood Forum: The Council agreed to join this forum
Police Report: In April the following crimes had been committed in the Lizard: 1 violent/sexual offence (Parc an Ithan); I Anti Social Behaviour (Parc Brawse) and I Anti Social Behaviour (Green Lane).  PCSO Julia Berry has been transferred to other duties and has not currently been replaced
Double Hedge between Trethvas and Gwavas Farm: The Council heard that this had been closed for safety reasons and work is being done in conjunction with the Landowner to open it again as soon as possible
Residents Survey: This is being carried out by Cornwall Council in the next few months. 
Correspondence: The Council had received a range of correspondence on a number of ongoing matters which are listed in the draft minutes
Committees: The Council has formed the following Committees: Human Resources, Asset Management, Finance, Planning, Liaison.  The Committees will be meeting from August onwards.  Look out for the agendas on the Council noticeboard and the website.  Members of the parish are welcome to attend any Committee meeting except the Human Resources Committee which, in the first instance, will be dealing with staffing matters and the public will be excluded because of the confidential nature of the business.
Landewednack Parish Council next meets on September 14th at 7.30 pm at the READING ROOM.  All are welcome.  The draft minutes of the July meeting are on the Council noticeboard by the Bus Stop on the Green and on the website www.landewednackparishcouncil.org.uk.
The Clerk is Diane Shepherd and you can ring her on 01326 290929 or 07565 350457.  You can also email her on clerklandewednackparishcouncil@outlook.com
The Council would like to hear from you!  Complements, concerns, criticisms are all welcome.  Let the Council know what you are thinking so they can respond and do the best they can for the Parish.


Parish Council elections information: (added 28/05/17)

Parish Council elections were held on the 4th May 2017 and following a huge turnout of 60.84% the following people were elected as Parish Councillors: Marianna Baxter, Diane Burgess, Victoria Donovan, Peter Hall, David Issitt, Bernadette Kessell, Stephen Parker, Victoria Parker, Robert Wheeler and Susan Wheeler.

The first meeting of the new Council was held on the 8th May when Peter Hall was elected as Chairman and Victoria Parker as Vice Chairman.  The outgoing Chairman, Barry Browning thanked all the outgoing Councillors, and the 2 Clerks who had supported him, for their work. The Chairman thanked the outgoing Council for their long service to the Parish.

At this first Annual Meeting the Council took the decision to establish a number of Committees with delegated authority to undertake detailed work on issues like Finance and Asset Management.  All Committee meetings will be advertised in advance and the public will be welcome to attend. Committees will report back to the full Council.

The Council agreed who would represent them on various bodies and how previous positions of responsibility would be dealt with.

The Council has a lot of work to do to review current documents and to familiarise themselves with a number of ongoing issues.  The Council spent time at their first meeting deciding how to take all these matters forward.

The Council awarded their first grants of the year: £500 towards the Christmas Lights and Fireworks and £100 to the Reading Room.  The Council also decided to pay for the hire of the Reading Room in future.

Cllr V Parker provided the results of the Speeding in the Village survey and recommended a Traffic Management Plan and the Council took the first steps towards trying to get this established. Cllr D Issitt undertook to draft a local Emergency Plan for the Council to consider.

The Police asked the Council to remind people to lock their vehicles and to keep valuables hidden from sight.

The Council supported the efforts to ensure the Tour of Britain comes to Cornwall.

The draft minutes of the Council are available on the website www.landewednackparishcouncil.org.uk/ and on the Parish Council noticeboard a few days after the meeting.

The Council would like to hear from you! You can contact any of the Councillors. Their contact details will be on the website and the noticeboards.  You can contact the Clerk at any time on 01326 290929 or 07565 350457.  This is your Council and the Council want to know what is important to you.


Post Office Survey 2017 (added 24/03/17)
Landewednack Parish Council had been advised by Len Trott, the Postmaster, that the Post Office in the Lizard was likely to close by December 2017.  The Council was very concerned about this and had discussed with Mr Trott the options for saving the Post Office.  The Council decided to ask the residents about this situation and what they would like to see happen. Over 500 surveys were printed and distributed with the Village Magazine, Lizard Lives and left in the Post Office.  The survey was also available on the Parish Council website.  25 were returned on line and 59 returned as hard copies. The results of the survey carried out in February 2017 are set out below:
Option 1: Do nothing – with the result that by the end of 2017 at the latest, our Post Office closes and the village is visited by a Post Office operated van 2 mornings per week, with a much reduced service eg no business banking facilities. No votes  
Option 2: Seek to identify an existing business in the village to embed a Post Office within.  46 votes (54%)    
Option 3: Undertake to establish a Community Shop with embedded Post Office with a mix of paid & volunteer manning. 32 votes (38%)

Option 2 or 3 = 7 votes (8%)

The majority of on line responses were in favour of a community shop and the majority of hard copy returns were in favour of seeking to identify an existing business.

Residents were asked if they preferred Option 3 would they:

a. Be willing to volunteer to help operate the shop = 13 (41%)

b. Be willing to help operate the shop as a paid employee = 6 (19%)

c. Be willing to join a group working together to establish a Community Shop = 7 (22%)

d. None of the above = 0

Additional Comments (18):

‘With Jeremy at Steps having already had his contract terminated with Premier and publicly announcing he is “giving up”; the Parish should focus their attention on ensuring that whoever takes over Steps runs it as a proper local store with post office incorporated’

‘It is obvious to me that it should be an existing business and that is Steps’

‘It would be a real asset for the village to maintain a post office and I support either a new community venture, or the shop being sited in an existing business.  However the politics in the village may negate any possibility of the latter!  I would be happy to help as necessary within my availability as I work full time’

‘I’ve Recently Moved To The Lizard And I Don't Want To See The Post Office Close, I’m Also Autistic And Struggle With People’

‘I agree with options 2 and 3 above.  If option 3 goes ahead I am not in a position to assist but my daughter would be able to assist with the group working together to set up a community shop.  She does not live in the Lizard but spends a lot of time here and is keen to keep the Post Office in some form, it is one of the reasons we bought my current house’

‘I feel this a great opportunity to create a vital hub for the village, a shop that actually sells everyday groceries at realistic prices and keep our post office. We need both so we need to be proactive and help ourselves’

‘I believe option 3 to be the best solution. If I had the money but I do not at this current time, I would endeavor to bring back a local store that offers a wide range of products for local needs. Prices would be competing with local supermarkets.  I would also offer a free delivery service for local customers that would keep up with modern day logistics. Incorporated of course within the store would be the Post Office.  Given the correct energy with drive and a passion to offer local customers a chance to reconnect to an atmosphere that will take them back to let's say an old school sense of a country stores but obviously with the modern drive and with a sense of well being for the community and a touch of humour and banter there would definitely be a happy customer that would want to return to the store and come back in to use your local amenities. With the correct energy delivered for the customer the business would thrive’

‘I already work at a shop in the community and don't think that there is any need for another when the majority of the village won't support the shops that they have. I also won't put my name as I feel uncomfortable at the nasty response that both those supporting the shop and especially for those against it’

‘I have "bent" our MPs ear about the possible closure of the post office via email. It does seem ludicrous to me that with the increased population of the village, and its remoteness, and  the age demographic  that the post office faces closure, due to an arbitrary post office regulation that does not take remote rural locations into account’

I'd assume that the Council have already exhausted the "embed" possibility.  If not, this should be looked at first - there can't be that many suitable businesses in the village, and I believe two of those have already turned it down’

‘I must point out that any proposal to replace the current post office MUST permit access for the severely disabled, or if not then this would be discrimination. I personally am not able to walk at all and cannot access the current post office, though the current staff are agreeable to serving me outside on the pavement. Therefor any new arrangement would need to have suitable access for my mobility scooter, or more practically you might consider a small service side window. If you can't manage a solution then a severely disabled person might well be unable to use your new office, and that could be viewed as discrimination. May I also point out that asking someone else to visit the post office on my account is not only a nuisance as they can't use my bank card, but also means they have to take time off work. And I think you also need to inform the post office that a disabled person may not be able to access a post office van, also discrimination, unless it has a side access window. Regarding cash, you will already be aware that many Lizard establishments present a problem to the disabled by either still not having a pay/swipe facility for a bank card, or a minimum spend on a card. The only alternative is cash and that convenient cash access needs to be seriously considered as part of the new office and won't compromise a bank card's security. However, I will say that as a disabled person I can access on line postage/stamp labels, and also arrange collection by a courier, but until the post office ceases to penalise its customers for sending things one mm over size, or one microgram over weight, then using on line stamping is NOT going to be reliable. By the way I don't think current couriers can accept foreign destined parcels/letters, or if so it will likely be very expensive’

‘By embedding a PO in an existing business in the village would surely provide the best outcome re continuity and stability of the existing very good Post Office services’

‘It is not only businesses that use the banking facilities individuals will also find it inconvenient to say the least not being able to post cheques and transfer monies’

‘We are not permanent residents in the Lizard and so whilst my husband and I would ideally like to see a community shop being set up we would not be able to help set up or run the shop and so do not feel it would be fair to ask for it to be done’

‘It is difficult since the Butchers and Jeremy do not want it.  How about the Top House Inn. A community shop risks treading on the toes of other existing businesses’.

‘We both commend the Council’s desire to keep a Post Office in the village.  I am sure that sentiment is shared by all the residents and locals.  If any of the positive options you identify do come to fruition then you can count on us to help on a voluntary basis. The issue that we have is that your note does not identify the PO Ltd perspective e.g. - Do they want our PO to stay open? If so, in what guise?...large, small, part of an existing premise, free standing etc -What is their view on asset/liability transfer or sale and costs? -Do they require experienced(practised staffing? …at what level of security? What are the hours of business required. What guarantees/contracts are to be levied? Without guidance on the above matters the options of embedded and/or community shop cannot rationally be assessed.   Nevertheless if we do succeed in holding onto our PO please be assured we will do all we can to help’

‘We would hate to lose the Post Office services, the loss would directly affect residents who do not drive or unable to get a bus elsewhere and then wait 2 hours for the return trip.  A van visiting twice a week is also not satisfactory for short periods.  The Witchball is the only facility that is open all year. I fail to see why Post Office Ltd would insist on long opening hours, surely being available for a few hours daily during the week would suffice.  That could be sorted with discussion with the owner and suit all’

‘In other parts of the country general stores and post offices have been merged with public houses. Is this an idea?’

The results of the survey were reported to the Parish Council on Thursday 9th March 2017.  Collated figures have been published via the Parish Council’s website and village notice boards, Lizard Lives magazine & here now on this website and are available at the Post Office.


A Parish Plan is to be put together. (added 26/02/17)

The process starts by consulting parishioners about what they would like to see from their village. Ideas can then form a basis for fund raising and obtaining grants for projects. Please will anyone who would like to be involved with this initiative, contact Sue Wheeler 290045; sue@randswheeler.plus.com
We really need about half a dozen people to come forward to help.